Your advice needed, readers – my Dragon 251/1 D’s

January 7, 2012

Hello all,

My Dragon Models 1/72 scale Sd.Kfz 251/1 D’s are potentially one step away from being finished: .

When I started them, I thought that I might glue lichen on their sides to represent added foliage, as many German forces did to their vehicles in the last 2-3 years of the war. You can see a historical example of this ‘foliage as additional camouflage’ practice here. I’ve already done this to some of my vehicles, like my 234/3’s and my Hetzers.

Now I’m not sure I want to do this. The 234/3’s and the Hetzers aren’t meant to get so much game use compared to the 251/1’s. If they aren’t getting so much game use, I figure they can be a little more delicate and elaborate! Lichen on them is fine!

But I’m now not sure about adding lichen to these 251/1 D’s. These 251/1’s don’t have good vantage/attachment points to secure the lichen, so it’s possible that I could botch what I do. I don’t want to botch what has gone pretty well! The other 251’s I’ve done or are yet to do aren’t going to have lichen attached…plus it’s only an average of $10-15 per kit at swap-n-sells to get more if these ones do end up looking tatty after a couple of years. To topit all off, I’ve only been averaging 4 games a year lately…

Still, I’m thinking that they are fine as they are and that I don’t have to be so realistic all the time. Maybe I’m lazy and just want them off my table? Dunno.

So, readers, I’m turning this over to you. Do I follow through and add the lichen to them, or stop now?

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Your advice needed, readers – my Dragon 251/1 D’s”

  1. stuart said

    Don’t! The stuff will dry out and crumble away leaving glue marks on your paintwork. Remember, foliage is only around in spring and summer anyway!
    What you see in photos is only valid for a few days, because the real thing also dries out, leaving a bunch of twigs…..

    • Eastern Funker said

      There is also that concern, that the lichen I stick on will one day break off and crumble. Yes, there would be glue marks…but I see two ways around this: 1) paint over the glue marks with brown and claim it’s mud, or 2) just glue new lichen over the top.

      Your second point is a very good one. They would have to replace what they did very regularly.

      Thanks for providing your thoughts!

  2. Paul said

    Hi mate, I would not either. They look just great as they are.

    Super job.

  3. arkiegamer said

    Would you get more pleasure out of getting them ready for the table as soon as possible, or seeing them on the table for the next several years with the additional camouflage?

    • Eastern Funker said

      They aren’t going to be used in the next week or three, so that’s not so much of a concern…it was more that I feel I’m betraying myself for not following through with my original plan. I guess I’ve created an internal conflict because I want to change my plan.

  4. I would leave them as is they look beautiful, great job man

  5. Peter said

    Hey, they look great how they are, though with the lichen would look good too. I went to google images and typed in Sdkfz 251 Camouflage and found most without, and only a couple with.

    • Eastern Funker said

      There’s a great photo in the classic “Panzer colours” books of a whole column of 251/1s retreating on the Eastern Front, all with masses of twigs and branches on them, to help camouflage them against air attack.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: