As well as Truck Month and that shed, I did have some Sd Kfz 251/1s on the go. As of today, everything is completed and Dullcoted and getting stored in boxes whilst they await a chance to be played with in a game.

Time to show you photos of the lot. With flash and without.

Here’s the resin 8-rad Sd Kfz 231 that I got in those two big eBay wins last year:    . I think it’s 1/76 scale.

The Roden Opel Blitz – you’ll see I did include the perspex window panes:   .

Italeri’s 251/1 (I’ve had these sitting around for probably two and half years now – and I’m thinking a softskin troop carrier month may be in order sometime this year as I have some Dragon ones to do too):   .

Lastly, the Airfix engine shed. Both sheds have turned out a little differently (not withstanding the wooden end room being a different colour) but I like them both. Here it is:      .

Good to have all things off the tables and shelves and ready to be used.

The next things to be worked on are two Italeri StuG IIIGs and two Revell StuG IIIGs plus there will be new episodes of the continuing saga of Hob-e-tac, as I use it to make thirteen trees.

Truck Month results

February 28, 2011

Al over at 20th Century Wargames: Wargaming with mostly 1/72 scale plastic miniatures has completed a Bedford QLD, an Austin and a Matador…all fine softskins for the British Expeditionary Force and ANZAC allies. The Matador in particular has scrubbed up well with some good weathering. Good work, Al! In and of itself it’s not a beautiful vehicle to look at, with that snub nose and boxy shape…but in wargaming terms it carries a lot of troops and pulls some heavy weights, so they are good to have around.

From a different part of NZ, Paul at Plastic Warriors: 1/76 & 1/72 Plastic Soldiers, Armour & Aircraft emerges a winner, having completed four different trucks (when does the bloke sleep?!). He opened his account with the same kits as me, the Roden Opel Blitz. He then renovated and repainted Academy’s U.S. M35 2.5 ton cargo truck. As he got that done very quickly, he then completed a Landrover 1 Tonne Forward Control Truck. Then, with only 4 days of Truck Month left, he completed a Morris K2 Ambulance…with two days left, he snuck in a K6 Austin Fire Tender! Wow! Now, he bemoaned the quality of the flag decal for the Landrover FC truck but I think it adds a certain something, so I’m glad he put it on. In fact, he put the smaller tactical markings on his Opel Blitz too, so they look very official.

A great month by these two blokes, with beautifully completed kits ready for play. I’ve enjoyed taking part in their challenge.

Over at Tankoberg, the time for major assembly of the Roden Opel Blitz has arrived – the stage when the completed cab and completed tray are joined onto the chassis. Here’s a photo/фото of the three major parts before assembly:  .

With the first Roden Opel Blitz that I did, I botched up this stage. I had too much lean on the cab and the tray (sadly, the leans were both on different axes too, which makes the kit look oddly lopsided). So this time, I carefully read and interpreted the instructions and glued the cab in place at eye level to make sure everything was horizontal. It looked OK: . I then repeated this for the tray: .

From the left side at eye level, everything looked kosher. Then I checked all the other axes: from the front, there was very little lean to any side; the right side seemed fine and from the rear, some minor lean was detected. It was such minor lean I figued it would only really be noticed when held in the hand and inspected at a range of 45cm or less in very good light…which is not wargaming conditions. Success! Hooray! This time I did it correctly!

I then decided to gratiutously compare it to “the one I did earlier”. Here are the two lined up, from the side: . Now, to see the differences (and the errors with the first one I did), here’s the first one: and now the current one: .

See the differences?

  1. The gap between the cab and tray is much larger on the current kit;
  2. The cab on the earlier one is leaning backwards so that the top of the cab is hitting the tray, wheras on the current kit the cab is horizontal (possibly leaning slightly forward);
  3. The lean on the other axis has been (almost) eliminated.

I took notes, tried some stages of assembly different to last time and wrote recommendations on the instruction sheet so that the remaining 5 of this kit will be as succesfully assembled as this kit.

This morning I commenced glueing on the tiny remaining parts, like front numberplate (I have an idea for Paul about this) and tow hooks etc. When these little detail parts are all glued on, I can commence painting.