Even though it’s been spread over a week, it’s only taken about two hours to assemble a Jagdpanther. Now, the particular kit I’ve assembled is Revell kit #3152, “Jagdpanther & Deutsche Infantrie”. Although the box says that all the contents are 1:72 scale, the Jagdpanther is actually 1:76 scale. As Henk of Holland and On the Way! both state, many of these “Kombi-packs” of vehicles and soldiers contain 1:72 scale Revell soldiers but 1:76 scale Matchbox vehicles – kit #3152 being one of them.

I bought two of the Jagdpanther kombi-packs earlier this year and decided to buy two more, to make a platoon of four Jagdpanthers and also because I intend to use all the soldiers for a company of Panzergrenadiers. I decided to commence work on the Jagdpanthers now as a sort of flow-on from the most recent game of Panzerfaust: Iron Fist I played, so that rather than always playing early and mid War, Peter and I could play late War, when the Eastern Front reversed and moved back across Eastern Europe to Berlin.  I want to see those mighty tank destroyers up against some IS-2s.

Having undertaken my usual preparations of washing the sprues in hot water with some dishwashing liquid in it; thoroughly air-drying the sprues and finally undercoating them with Chaos Black, I began assembly and soon realised I was nearly done in only an hour. In fact, waiting for the glue to dry on the wheels was the longest part. Why?

Well, this kit has one-piece vinyl tracks. Yes, those old-fashioned, horrible soft vinyl tracks that harden and crack after a few years (less if left in the heat). Yes, they are too short to actually fit around the wheels of this kit (believe me, I tried). But if you can stand to put the vinyl tracks on and live with the gap by not trying to make the tracks into one loop (like I was forced to with Roden’s Opel Maultiers), then you get great track sag and quick assembly.

Anyway, it meant that last sunday I had to put all work on the first one on hold as I’d run out of Desert Yellow to begin working on it’s paint scheme!

It’s been a pleasant week, working on this kit. A lot of the detail is permanently fixed on the hull due to the mould, but it’s good detail and should paint up well. Tonight I was working through the Doug Chaltry track-painting technique. Tomorrow I commence work on more modular scenery (including working with another water product) and an AA vehicle!

Regular readers would be aware that I am working on assembling and painting four Tiger Ausf. E’s, made my Revell GMBH. Yesterday I was able to address many of the smaller, fiddly details which I’d been procrastinating about because I told myself I wouldn’t do details until the hulls were nearly complete. After a hour the hulls were nearly complete so I was forced to push on as I had nothing else to work on and a dedicated three hours of the afternoon already set aside for hobby work.

The hulls only had some minor assembly to go – I had decided that not all vehicles would have the three supply tow cables, so I finally got some putty out and filled the holes where the tow cables were the be attached and glued. That done, I glued on the front armour shield and the front mudguards. Finally, the machine-gun barrel for the front cupola and the armoured headlight could be glued into place. Done!

Some advice – those front mudguards were a bit of a pain. The printed instructions show them neatly sliding into the slots made once the front armoured shield has been attached. So, first glue the shield into place before doing the mudguards. Second, without glueing, try sliding a mudguard neatly into the slots – it won’t go. You need to make a thin gap where the hinged part is, so that the whole piece slides into place – currently, the side of the front armour shiled will be blocking it. Don’t use a scalpel or knife – I used a fine file to make a gap about a milimetre wide and two milimetres deep. Then it slid in perfectly. The instructions show the hinged section on an angle, but it’s flat on the sprue and you would need to do a lot of reworking to put the hinged section on the angle.

I was then able, while waiting for everything to dry, to really get to work on the turrets. This was mostly trouble-free – except that you are meant to drill out three holes in the turret roof before assembly. Well, I didn’t do that, did I? Anyway, with my mini/hand drills I was able to drill the holes out, getting myself out of a possible hole, and keep going.

The turret sides have a number of holes on them so that you can attach track links to the turret, which is to model that many crews did that as the links worked as shot deflectors / extra armour. You can see these holes on the turret side here. Now, model kits are cast so that you are making one particular vehicle. I’m making lots of different vehicles, so right now I’m holed up (pardon the pun) researching historical photos to see how many Tiger crews did this and how many links on average were attached. Then I can use putty to fill the holes and have a variety of vehicles modelled.

The extremely useful On the Way! website is back, hopefully for good. Supported by it’s creator Doug Chaltry (he of the Doug Chaltry technique, if you’ve read my earlier posts) as well as plenty of wonderful helpers.

If you’re doing wargaming in 1/72 or 1/76 and you’re buying model kits to do it,  On the Way! should be immediately added to your Bookmarks or Favourites.