Not an ACE effort

May 6, 2008

Been a while between drinks – and right now, a Cascade Pale Ale is travelling downwards.

The ACE Models PaK-38 anti-tank gun is completed. Finally. Thank goodness. Becuase I did not enjoy any step of it’s construction. Parts where there was no pin to connect one part to another; an uneven finish (the struts don’t lie flat, so I’ll have to file down one wheel so the darn thing sits flat) and the requirement for thin wire, not included in the box, all made me glad to be finished this one, and only have two more to do.

Come Hell or high water, I’ll sell those ACE PaK-40’s and buy the Italeri ones. Oh, they may not be as detailed as the ACE one, but give a stuff! The detail DID NOT really add much to this kit – in fact, I think at 1/72, some detail should be sacrificed in order to have a kit that assembles well. I certainly don’t feel that this one really did.

Now I’ll have to paint up some crew while assembling the other two. No worries – I’ve got a whole load of MG-42 medium machinegun crews to do. The PaK gunners can join their queue.

Next AFV project? I’m due for one, after these PaKs. I’ll jump in the deep end – Tigers. Oh yeah.

By the by, I finished painting the ESCI Opel Blitz. Very quick and straightforward to assemble, took paint well, and now it sits next to the Roden one. Sadly, I now prefer the Roden! The extra detail there (wing mirrors etc.) give it a little extra life…make it look real whereas the ESCI looks like a Hot Wheels imitation.

While I wait for Tigers, I’m going to do the Roden Opel Blitz Maultiers. 3 of ’em. Winter camo pattern, here we come!

For some reason, I had painted all grenade & entrenching tool handles in Desert Yellow rather than Bubonic Brown. A part of last night was spent correcting this as well as painting hands. This error must be due to all the Desert Yellow getting splashed around on the Marder, which already is looking great. Through careful brushwork, I’m keeping the gaps between the sheet metal blackened/in shadow yet also showing a slight “respraying” effect, which is super. Now I can do all the tracks, add on the mudguards and finally build the firing cab, then do all the last painting.

…what have I done with the steps for painting and weathering tracks that I used successfully on those two 251’s?!! I was using Doug Chaltry’s guide (linked to in a previous post), but had modified it slighty…I don’t think I wrote down the modifications! Well, there’s my homework for tonight.

***

My opponent Peter and I are aware of a new release from Italeri, the Zis-3 AT gun (with crew). Looks great! Annoys Peter, who has bought the same thing from a rival company but had to buy crews from yet another company. Will I have to do the same thing with my Roden PaK38’s and PaK40’s?

…done.

A whole platoon and the platoon HQ are now based. All that remains is to paint the bases a nice earth colour, glue on some flock to represent grass; glue on some model bushes, and they can be played with.

I’m very happy with the colouring, the uniforms and the amount of detail. They look far better than my Russians.

Both sets of mortars are done, too – 1 section of 81mm mortars and 2 bases of 120mm mortars. The realistic poses of the crews mean I’ll be buying more, if just to use unused crew figures to man the PaK 38’s and PaK 40’s I got in my HobbyTerra order last month.

Over in Tankoberg, I decided on the outcome of the Doug Chaltry technique on tracks painted Codex Grey compared to the outcomes on the painted Chaos Black or my Panzer Grey blend. I had bought two secondhand ESCI SdKfz 251’s, so I’ve begun applying the technique to the tracks on those, to see a working sample. I can always (and probably will) buy more 251’s…especially since Caeser Miniatures have indicated they are working on a range of 1/72 PanzerGrenadiers.