As seen via the wonderful Plastic Soldier Review.

They don’t have to be tank riders, they could also be passengers in softskins or AFVs like the SdKfz 251/1.

And 8 AFV crew sticking heads/bodies out of hatches? Awesome! Having supplies of Platoon or Company Commander figures for AFV formations is a doddle from now.

 

 

 

Hello all,

My Dragon Models 1/72 scale Sd.Kfz 251/1 D’s are potentially one step away from being finished: .

When I started them, I thought that I might glue lichen on their sides to represent added foliage, as many German forces did to their vehicles in the last 2-3 years of the war. You can see a historical example of this ‘foliage as additional camouflage’ practice here. I’ve already done this to some of my vehicles, like my 234/3’s and my Hetzers.

Now I’m not sure I want to do this. The 234/3’s and the Hetzers aren’t meant to get so much game use compared to the 251/1’s. If they aren’t getting so much game use, I figure they can be a little more delicate and elaborate! Lichen on them is fine!

But I’m now not sure about adding lichen to these 251/1 D’s. These 251/1’s don’t have good vantage/attachment points to secure the lichen, so it’s possible that I could botch what I do. I don’t want to botch what has gone pretty well! The other 251’s I’ve done or are yet to do aren’t going to have lichen attached…plus it’s only an average of $10-15 per kit at swap-n-sells to get more if these ones do end up looking tatty after a couple of years. To topit all off, I’ve only been averaging 4 games a year lately…

Still, I’m thinking that they are fine as they are and that I don’t have to be so realistic all the time. Maybe I’m lazy and just want them off my table? Dunno.

So, readers, I’m turning this over to you. Do I follow through and add the lichen to them, or stop now?

…and my current job is to paint the interiors of those Dragon Sd. Kfz. 251/1Ds.

Here’s a photo of my work so far: – there’s some Anti-tank Rifle lads also being properly dressed and kitted.

These Dragon kits have really good interior details; unlike the Italeri (very plain) and the Hasegawa (some nice bits, some plain bits). I decided that I had to paint these finely detailed Dragon kits to an equally fine standard – so the interiors are being done completely before the two halfs of the kit are glued together. It’s slowing me down, but I think it’ll be worth it.

 

On the explanatory page about me and why I’m doing this blog, I state that “This blog will have a finite life – meaning that when I finish all relevant/suitable German forces for the “Panzerfaust: Armoured Fist” set of wargaming rules, I’ll stop maintaining this blog”. (If you don’t believe me, here’s the link you need to click on).

I had recently forgotten what I had said the purpose of my blog was and became a bit worried about how, the readers, would react if I did some work on some Russian stuff. Had I said I would only discuss and display German stuff on my blog? Upon checking a couple of weeks ago, I was relieved to see that this was not the case. I can make Russian stuff…my own rules don’t stop me. During the life of this blog, I have made Russian stuff that is ‘Beute’ (which you read about here) and Russian stuff for my opposing Russian forces to use themselves (which you can see here).

You see, the stash of kits in my hobby room grows ever bigger and I’ve rationalised in my head that, rather than have a half-full shelf that only has Russian stuff on it and fobid any German stuff from getting mixed in with it (which requires other shelves to be had or more space to be had), why not attempt to get rid of the Russian stuff that I’ve got and had for five or more years? Then I’ll have an extra bare shelf for German stuff and, in the future, some new Russian stuff!

So, I’m going to start doing a company (five vehicles) of SU-85/ СУ-85 self-propelled guns. I’ll be using the UM 1:72 kit #333. Don’t be alarmed, good readers…I’ll be doing them whilst working on German stuff, as is the practice of the seasoned, productive modeller – have more than one project going so that whilst one is being glued or drying, you have something else to do.

I’ll be washing, drying and undercoating the sprues soon. At the moment, I’m still very busy with the Dragon Sd. Kfz. 251/1Ds and also some Pegasus German Infantry 1939 anti-tank rifle teams.

 

 

 

Having finished those Panzer III L’s and M’s, I’m now trying my first kits by Dragon Models Limited (AKA DML). Three Sd. Kfz. 251/1Ds are on my table. When I get around to doing the Sd. Kfz. 251/10s that I have (also from DML), the three 251/1Ds will go with a single 251/10 to make a platoon. That platoon will then be for panzergrenadiers.

I must say what has been said by so many before me about Dragon’s products – the detail is exquisite, it really is. Fine rivets,;Mp-40s minus their ammo clips; intricate dashboards and so much more all contribute to really make these vehicles feel like true replicas.

I have had some issues with what little construction I’ve done so far. Not everything has sat as nicely as the instructions would have you believe, and there is definitely a technique to doing the tracks (some of them “snapped” – the glue softened them too much whilst fitting them into place and trying to replicate track sag). I also came up about 8mm too short with the tracks – they wouldn’t join together if I was doing track sag.

Still, it’s early days yet. I’m going to do the entire bottom half and then paint it, then put on the top superstructure, glue all the rest of the side and top components and then finish the rest of the painting.